Re: [PROPOSAL] Shared Ispell dictionaries

From: Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Arthur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Shared Ispell dictionaries
Date: 2018-03-19 12:38:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 14:06:50 +0300
Arthur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> I beleive mmap requires completely rewrite 0003 part of the patch and
> a little changes in 0005.
>
> > In any case, I suggest to polish the dsm-based patch, and see if we
> > can get that one into PG11.
>
> Yes we have more time in future commitfests if dsm-based patch won't
> be approved.

Hi, I'm not sure about mmap approach, it would just bring another
problems. I like the dsm approach because it's not inventing any new
files in the database, when mmap approach will possibly require new
folder in data directory and management above bunch of new files, with
additional issues related with pg_upgrade and etc. Also in dsm approach
if someone needs to update dictionaries then he (or his package
manager) can just replace files and be done with it.

--
---
Ildus Kurbangaliev