Re: PATCH: Configurable file mode mask

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Configurable file mode mask
Date: 2018-03-16 22:46:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 11:12:44AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Given that we're already, as I recall, including the owner/group of the
> file being backed up through pg_basebackup in the tarball, it seems like
> we should be including whatever the current dir/file mode is too. Those
> files may not have anything to do with PostgreSQL, after all, and a
> 'natural' tar of the directory would capture that information too.

Yes. tar does include this information in the header associated to each
file. Do we want an additional switch for pg_receivexlog as well by the
way which generates WAL segments with group access? Some people take
base backups without slots and rely on an archive to look for remaining
segments up to the end-of-backup record.
--
Michael