Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v11

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pierre Ducroquet <p(dot)psql(at)pinaraf(dot)info>
Subject: Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v11
Date: 2018-03-15 17:19:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-03-15 12:42:54 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > It'd be a build not runtime dependency, doesn't that change things?
>
> How could it not be a runtime dependency?

What we were talking about in this subthread was about a depency on
clang, not LLVM. And that's just needed at buildtime, to generate the
bitcode files (including synchronizing types / function signatures).

For the yum.pg.o, which already depends on EPEL, there's a new enough
LLVM version. There's a new enough version in RHEL proper, but it
appears to only be there for mesa (llvm-private).

> You're not proposing that we'd embed all of LLVM into a Postgres
> package are you?

No.

Greetings,

Andres Freund