Re: pg_get_functiondef forgets about most GUC_LIST_INPUT GUCs

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz, pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com, a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_get_functiondef forgets about most GUC_LIST_INPUT GUCs
Date: 2018-03-15 05:03:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 15 Mar 2018 00:33:25 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote in <22193(dot)1521088405(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> > Doesn't it make sense if we provide a buildtime-script that
> > collects the function names and builds a .h file containing a
> > function using the list?
>
> Surely this is a fundamentally misguided approach. How could it
> handle extension GUCs?

I understand it is "out of scope" of this thread (for now). The
starting issue here is "the static list of list-guc's are stale"
so what a static list cannot cope with is still cannot be coped
with by this.

As the discussion upthread, with the dynamic (or on the fly)
approach, pg_dump fails when required extension is not
loaded. Especially plpgsql variables are the candidate stopper of
ordinary pg_dump operation. We might have to implicitly load the
module by any means to make it work. If we treat extensions
properly, we must find the extension that have defined a GUC that
is about to be exported, then load it.

I don't think the automatic stuff is essential but the
check_listvars.h is still effective to reduce the effort needed
to maintain the multiple lists that should have the same set of
names of the list-gucs.

Or, we could cope with this issue if the list-ness of used GUCs
is stored permanently in somewhere. Maybe pg_proc.proconfigislist
or something...

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi