Re: libpq options

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Şahap Aşçı <sahapasci(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: libpq options
Date: 2018-03-05 04:44:39
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 12:58:50PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> To nitpick:
>
> + protocol. A Boolean value of <literal>true</literal> tells the
> backend
>
> We don't really have boolean values here, do we? It's just the string true
> that's treated as a boolean by the backend. It just sounds really weird to
> me when written that way. Particularly since the next sentence talks about
> passing "database" as the same thing.
>
> I know that's pretty much nitpicking, but I want to make sure I haven't
> actually missed/forgotten how some part of that one is handled..

Yes, that's indeed a bit inconsistent with the other parameters able to
use boolean-like parameters, like sslcompression or sslmode (deprecated
in favor requiressl), still those two ones are frontend-only
parameters, so they are just able to use "1" or "0". Replication is
part of the startup packet which uses parse_bool() so valid values can
be true, false, yes, no, on, off, 1 or 0. And it is even possible to
use upper-case characters. So why not documenting all that precisely
then?

> It also talks separately about "going into walsender mode" (=physical
> replication) and "instructs the walsender to connect to the database". I
> think that's a bit confusing. I suggest just calling it "physical
> replication mode" and "logical replication mode", and not bother mentioning
> walsender since that's quite internal.

Indeed, this term is pretty spread across the documentation as well.

I have taken into account this feedback, and created the new version
attached, for a v2.

Thoughts?
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
replication-param-doc-v2.patch text/x-diff 3.4 KB