Re: Reliable WAL file shipping over unreliable network

From: Dianne Skoll <dfs(at)roaringpenguin(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reliable WAL file shipping over unreliable network
Date: 2018-02-28 18:52:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 13:49:33 -0500
Rui DeSousa <rui(dot)desousa(at)icloud(dot)com> wrote:

> Really? I think you really need to think about it. You are dealing
> with a race condition.

Not at all, assuming rsync is being called by PostgreSQL's archive_command.

> You are dealing with a race condition involving filesystem metadata.

Nope. Not true. What are the things that are racing?

If you rsync data to make a base backup, then yes, use -c... but not because
of any race condition. Instead, it's because of the coarse filesystem
timestamp granularity.

Regards,

Dianne.