Re: Server won't start with fallback setting by initdb.

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server won't start with fallback setting by initdb.
Date: 2018-02-28 07:36:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 10:08:06AM +0900, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> Definitely. The another rationale for the value is that regtest
> fails with the numbers less than 20. So it's not 11 but
> 20. Currently regtest should succeed with that number of
> connections as written in parallel_schedule and I've read (in
> Robert's mail, but I haven't confirmed) that tests for parallel
> scans are designed to use up to 20 connections.

I just noticed, but this thread in registered in next CF, so I have
switched this patch as ready for committer. In the documentation,
guc-max-connections (config.sgml) mentions that the default value of
max_connections is typically 100, but it could be less as determined by
initdb. Do we want to specify as well that initdb would use 100 as
upper bound and 20 as lower bound when it does its evaluation? I would
think that this is not worth mentioning in the docs but as initdb is
directly mentioned..
--
Michael