Re: GSOC 2018 ideas

From: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Charles Cui <charles(dot)cui1984(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSOC 2018 ideas
Date: 2018-02-26 12:21:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Charles,

> I saw PostgreSQL is selected in GSOC 2018 and pretty interested in the
> ideas of thrift data types support that proposed by you. So, I want to
> prepare for a proposal based on this idea.

Glad you are interested in this project!

> Can I have more detailed information of what documents or code that I
> need to understand?

I would recommend the following documents and code:

* Source code of pg_protobuf
https://github.com/afiskon/pg_protobuf
* "Writing Postgres Extensions" tutorial series by Manuel Kniep
http://big-elephants.com/2015-10/writing-postgres-extensions-part-i/
* "So you want to make an extension?" talk by Keith Fiske
http://slides.keithf4.com/extension_dev/#/
* Apache Thrift official website
https://thrift.apache.org/
* Also a great explanation of the Thrift format can be found in the
book "Designing Data-Intensive Applications" by Martin Kleppmann
http://dataintensive.net/

> Also, if this idea is allocated to other student (or in other worlds,
> you prefer some student to work on it), do let me know, so that I can
> pick some other project in PostgreSQL. Any comments or suggestions are
> welcomed!

To my best knowledge currently there are no other students interested in
this particular work.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev