Re: response time is very long in PG9.5.5 using psql or jdbc

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: David Gould <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, 石勇虎 <SHIYONGHU651(at)pingan(dot)com(dot)cn>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: response time is very long in PG9.5.5 using psql or jdbc
Date: 2018-02-13 21:31:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

On 2018-02-13 13:24:47 -0800, David Gould wrote:
> I see this problem fairly frequently. Typically the problem catalog is
> pg_attribute as it has the most rows. However the problem really arises when
> the catalogs become bloated. Once the total size of the catalogs that get
> read at start up approaches the size of shared buffers, and especially if
> several processes start at the same time, it becomes quite noticeable.

I can obviously see problems with a bloated catalog, but how does that
cause massive slowdowns in *individual* queries as we see here? The
OP's problem isn't the connection establishment performance afaict, but
the first query using specific pieces of catalog data. And that should
be ok-ish performancewise, even if there's bloat.

Greetings,

Andres Freund