Re: Server won't start with fallback setting by initdb.

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server won't start with fallback setting by initdb.
Date: 2018-02-12 13:28:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 05:08:23PM +0900, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> > postgres: max_wal_senders must be less than max_connections
>
> I think that we can safely increase the fallback value to 20 with
> which regtests are known not to fail. I believe that is
> preferable than explicitly reducing max_wal_senders in the
> generated config file. I confirmed that tegtest won't fail with
> the value. (Except with permanent failure of dynamic shared
> memory)

I would vote for just removing the minimum check at 10 connections as
you do. It is not worth the code complication in initdb to decrease
max_wal_senders if max_connections is set to 10, which does not happen
even on definitely-not-decent hardware of those days like a RPI
(memories from my hamster, RIP, which set max_connections to 100).
--
Michael