Re: [HACKERS] More stats about skipped vacuums

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com, michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] More stats about skipped vacuums
Date: 2018-02-08 09:04:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

At Wed, 07 Feb 2018 16:59:20 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote in <3246(dot)1518040760(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> > It seems to me that there was a thread where Tom proposed removing
> > support for dynamic_shared_memory_type = none.
>
> I think you're recalling <32138(dot)1502675970(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, wherein
> I pointed out that

> (That was in fact in the same thread Kyotaro-san just linked to about
> reimplementing the stats collector.)
>
> It's still true that we've no reason to believe there are any supported
> platforms that haven't got some sort of DSM. Performance might be a
> different question, of course ... but it's hard to believe that
> transferring stats through DSM wouldn't be better than writing them
> out to files.

Good to hear. Thanks.

> > I suggest we remove support for dynamic_shared_memory_type = none first,
> > and see if we get any complaints. If we don't, then future patches can
> > rely on it being present.
>
> If we remove it in v11, it'd still be maybe a year from now before we'd
> have much confidence from that alone that nobody cares. I think the lack
> of complaints about it in 9.6 and 10 is a more useful data point.

So that means that we are assumed to be able to rely on the
existence of DSM at the present since over a year we had no
complain despite the fact that DSM is silently turned on? And
apart from that we are ready to remove 'none' from the options of
dynamic_shared_memory_type right now?

If I may rely on DSM, fallback stuff would not be required.

> regards, tom lane

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi