Re: [HACKERS] GnuTLS support

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] GnuTLS support
Date: 2018-01-30 02:24:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-01-17 12:30:16 -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 1/2/18 10:35, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On 11/26/17 20:05, Andreas Karlsson wrote:
> >> I have now implemented this in the attached patch (plus added support
> >> for channel binding and rebased it) but I ran into one issue which I
> >> have not yet solved. The script for the windows version takes the
> >> --with-openssl=<path> switch so that cannot just be translated to a
> >> single --with-ssl switch. Should to have both --with-openssl and
> >> --with-gnutls or --with-ssl=(openssl|gnutls) and --with-ssl-path=<path>?
> >> I also do not know the Windows build code very well (or really at all).
> >
> > This patch appears to work well.
>
> Seeing that Andres is apparently currently not available, I have started
> to dig through this patch myself and made some adjustments.

I presume you meant Andreas, right?

FWIW, I'm -0.5 on adding gnutls support. I've not seen any non-vague
arguments for it, and having debugged gnutls using applications in the
past, I'm not convinced we're not primarily increasing our workload by
adding support. If gnutls would improve our windows or OSX situation,
I'd think differently, but afaics it doesn't.

Greetings,

Andres Freund