Re: \describe*

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: \describe*
Date: 2018-01-26 14:49:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 08:11:00PM -0500, Corey Huinker wrote:
> Some of the discussions about making psql more user friendly (more
> tab completions help, exit, etc) got me thinking about other ways
> that psql could be more friendly, and the one that comes to mind is
> our terse but cryptic \d* commands.

They are indeed terse and cryptic, and what's worse, they're not
available to clients other than psql, so I propose that we do what at
least MySQL, Oracle, and DB2 do and implement DESCRIBE as its own
command.

Especially handy would be a variant DESCRIBE CREATE, which would do
what it says on the label in a copy-and-paste-able form, but that's
not strictly necessary for the first cut.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!