Re: pgsql: Add parallel-aware hash joins.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add parallel-aware hash joins.
Date: 2018-01-24 20:18:26
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Andres Freund wrote:

> Besides larger groups, starting the next test(s) earlier, another way to
> gain pretty large improvements would be a test schedule feature that
> allowed to stat dependencies between tests. So instead of manually
> grouping the schedule, have 'numerology' state that it depends on int2,
> int4, int8, float4, float8, which means it can actually be started
> earlier than it currently can in many cases.

Yeah, I proposed this a decade ago but never had the wits to write the
code.

It would be very useful for running tests standalone, too -- much as I
dislike 'make installcheck' taking half a minute, I dislike much more
having to take 5 minutes each time to figure out that create_table
depends on box, polygon, create_function, yadda yadda.