Re: [BUGS] BUG #14898: pg_upgrade documentation is misleading

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: yves(dot)goergen(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #14898: pg_upgrade documentation is misleading
Date: 2018-01-23 17:28:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 10:09:12PM +0000, yves(dot)goergen(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

> Bug reference: 14898
> Logged by: Yves Goergen
> Email address: yves(dot)goergen(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 10.0
> Operating system: Ubuntu
>
> The documentation of pg_upgrade suggests that -d and -D are the data
> directories. But actually they expect the config directories. In a default
> installation from the official packages for Ubuntu (from PostgreSQL, not
> from Ubuntu), this is a difference between /var/lib/postgresql/10/main and
> /etc/postgresql/10/main. See also https://dba.stackexchange.com/q/190469

I think you are correct. We have tried to adjust our documentation to
show the most common implementation locations, but at the same time to
be accurate. For example, in the the 'postgres' manual page, we kept -D
(signifying datadir) but describe it as the location of the
configuration files, e.g.

-D datadir
Specifies the file system location of the database
configuration files.

This was not done with pg_upgrade, and the attached patch fixes that. I
am thinking of applying this to PG 10 and head (PG 11) but not
backpatching it further.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +

Attachment Content-Type Size