Re: [HACKERS] Supporting huge pages on Windows

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Supporting huge pages on Windows
Date: 2018-01-21 18:02:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2018-01-21 13:42:13 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> To add some more notes on this. Again, the API appears in Vista/2003.
> Windows Vista went EOL (out of extended support even) in April 2017,
> Windows 2003 did so in July 2015. Those are the versions that it's *in* --
> obviously the versions without it are even older.
>
> Our binaries only support Windows 2008 and up (at least the ones by EDB,
> which are the ones that have a supported-version matrix documented on our
> site).
>
> We have traditionally supported older versions of Windows as long as people
> build from source. But perhaps I'm way overreading that and we should just
> bite the bullet, commit this patch, and declare those platforms as
> completely dead by PostgreSQL 11?

Yea, I think it's beyond time that we declare some old windows versions
dead. There's enough weird behaviour in supported versions of windows
(especially its socket API) that I really don't want to support more
than necessary. And supporting versions that've been out of date for a
while seems more than unnecessary.

Greetings,

Andres Freund