Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)
Date: 2018-01-10 22:36:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:

> + * To support parallel sort operations involving coordinated callers to
> + * tuplesort.c routines across multiple workers, it is necessary to
> + * concatenate each worker BufFile/tapeset into one single leader-wise
> + * logical tapeset. Workers should have produced one final materialized
> + * tape (their entire output) when this happens in leader; there will always
> + * be the same number of runs as input tapes, and the same number of input
> + * tapes as workers.
>
> I can't interpret the word "leader-wise". A partition-wise join is a
> join done one partition at a time, but a leader-wise logical tape set
> is not done one leader at a time. If there's another meaning to the
> affix -wise, I'm not familiar with it. Don't we just mean "a single
> logical tapeset managed by the leader"?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/-wise
-wise
adverb combining form
Definition of -wise
1 a : in the manner of crabwise fanwise
b : in the position or direction of slantwise clockwise
2 : with regard to : in respect of dollarwise

I think "one at a time" is not the right way to interpret the affix.
Rather, a "partitionwise join" is a join done "in the manner of
partitions", that is, the characteristics of the partitions are
considered when the join is done.

I'm not defending the "leader-wise" term here, though, because I can't
make sense of it, regardless of how I interpret the -wise affix.