Re: Better testing coverage and unified coding for plpgsql loops

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Darafei Komяpa Praliaskouski <me(at)komzpa(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Better testing coverage and unified coding for plpgsql loops
Date: 2018-01-03 19:31:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> I really think we should stick with the macro implementation, unless
> somebody wants to do some actual investigation to prove that a
> function implementation imposes negligible cost. I'm not prepared
> to just assume that, especially not after the work I just did on
> plpgsql record processing --- I initially thought that an extra
> function call or three wouldn't matter in those code paths either,
> but I found out differently.

I don't really care too much about the macro-or-function side of this,
but if you wanted to improve debuggability avoiding the performance cost
of a function call, you could use a static inline function, which is
supposed (AFAIK) to have performance characteristics equivalent to those
of a macro. But again I'm not voting either way and I'm not in a
position to do the legwork either.