Re: [HACKERS] Issues with logical replication

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Stas Kelvich <s(dot)kelvich(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Issues with logical replication
Date: 2018-01-03 17:47:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stas Kelvich wrote:

> Seems that having busy loop is the best idea out of several discussed.
>
> I thought about small sleep at the bottom of that loop if we reached topmost
> transaction, but taking into account low probability of that event may be
> it is faster to do just busy wait.

In other locations where we do similar things we have 1ms sleeps. I
agree with the need for a comment here.

Proposed patch attached. I tried your reload.pgb test case in 9.4
(after changing pgoutput to test_decoding and removing the 3rd arg to a
function call) and the crash takes about 3 seconds without patch in my
machine. No crash with this patch.

Will push this shortly after lunch.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Make-XactLockTableWait-work-for-transactions-that-ar.patch text/plain 2.2 KB