Re: [HACKERS] GnuTLS support

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] GnuTLS support
Date: 2018-01-03 09:59:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 10:54:29PM -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I think the solution is that we need to require that all SSL server-side
> implementations support all channel binding types.

That could be a stop for Windows and macos SSL implementations then. I
would think that we would benefit by being softer here, say with the
following guidelines:
- Have the server publish the -PLUS mechanism only if an SSL
implementation supports tls-unique.
- The RFC makes tls-unique mandatory, so requiring only tls-unique to be
present looks like a good default for me.

It is true that JDBC makes this whole thing harder, tls-server-end-point
patch has been done mainly for them. Even for OpenSSL, I had to dig
within their code tree to figure out the APIs to use to get the hash
algorithm. I would not be surprised that the same investigation is
necessary for gnutls.
--
Michael