Re: UPDATING and DELETING sub-classes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ami Ganguli <ami(at)ganguli(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: UPDATING and DELETING sub-classes
Date: 2000-07-06 21:59:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

Ami Ganguli <ami(at)ganguli(dot)com> writes:
> I'm trying to use the DELETE and UPDATE commands to update both the parent
> class (which is specfied in the query) and the sub-classes. According to the
> documentation the default behaviour is to include sub-classes and that's
> exactly what I want. Unfortunately it doesn't work:

It sounds like you are reading the documentation on the website.
Unfortunately those pages are a snapshot of docs for current development
sources, not the prior release. It happens that this is an area Chris
Bitmead has been changing recently --- 7.0.* and prior versions do NOT
behave that way. AFAIK, delete/update don't work on subclasses at all
in 7.0.*. The docs used to claim that "DELETE FROM parent*", etc,
was the way to do it, but that never worked. You'll have to wait for
7.1 (or try current snapshot if you're brave). Sorry.