Re: [HACKERS] REINDEX CONCURRENTLY 2.0

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] REINDEX CONCURRENTLY 2.0
Date: 2017-12-21 02:46:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier wrote:

> Well, the idea is really to get rid of that as there are already
> facilities of this kind for CREATE TABLE LIKE in the parser and ALTER
> TABLE when rewriting a relation. It is not really attractive to have a
> 3rd method in the backend code to do the same kind of things, for a
> method that is even harder to maintain than the other two.

I dislike the backend code that uses SPI and manufacturing node to
re-creates indexes. IMO we should get rid of it. Let's not call it
"facilities", but rather "grotty hacks".

I think before suggesting to add even more code to perpetuate that idea,
we should think about going in the other direction. I have not tried to
write the code, but it should be possible to have an intermediate
function called by ProcessUtility* which transforms the IndexStmt into
an internal representation, then calls DefineIndex. This way, all this
code that wants to create indexes for backend-internal reasons can
create the internal representation directly then call DefineIndex,
instead of the horrible hacks they use today creating parse nodes by
hand.