Re: Tracking of page changes for backup purposes. PTRACK [POC]

From: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tracking of page changes for backup purposes. PTRACK [POC]
Date: 2017-12-18 11:35:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Anastasia,

Personally I'm very glad PTRACK is finally proposed to be ported to the
community PostgreSQL.

> Since ptrack is basically just an API for use in backup tools, it is
> impossible to test the patch independently.

I believe it's worth to create an extension that will provide access to
the PTRACK's public API. Even if there will be not many users interested
in this extension, we should have at least some basic tests like "if we
write to the table, its pages change", "if we update a tuple,
corresponding indexes change", "if we clean up a bitmap, PTRACK says there
are no changed pages", etc.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev