Re: GSoC 2018

From: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Alvaro Hernandez <aht(at)ongres(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GSoC 2018
Date: 2017-12-18 09:53:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello hackers,

Thanks you a lot for your feedback. I modified the project description
to make it more clear that it implies augmenting an existing HA
solution, particularly Stolon, and doesn't imply solving existing
limitations of logical replication like lack of DDL replication.

Removing some of these limitations or adding logical replication support
to other existing HA applications like RepMgr or Patroni or corosync /
Pacemaker or maybe Postgres-XL sounds like good ideas for other GSoC
projects. I strongly encourage to add these ideas to wiki anyone who is
willing to be a mentor.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience of using these applications
and have no idea how they behave in different corner cases like
netsplit, slow network, etc. Also I don't have much motivation to figure
this out because I'm pretty happy with Stolon. For these reasons I
personally can't be a mentor for corresponding projects.

Also today I'm going to contact Simone Gotti, the main developer of
Stolon, to let him know about this thread. I wonder what are his
thoughts on all this.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev