Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade failed with error - ERROR: column "a" in child table must be marked NOT NULL

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Ali Akbar <the(dot)apaan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade failed with error - ERROR: column "a" in child table must be marked NOT NULL
Date: 2017-12-14 05:49:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 08:51:06AM +0700, Ali Akbar wrote:

> > On 2017/12/13 15:59, Ali Akbar wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for the link to those thread.
> > >
> > > Judging from the discussion there, it will be a long way to prevent DROP
> > > NOT NULL.
> >
> > Yeah, I remembered that discussion when writing my email, but was for some
> > reason convinced that everything's fine even without the elaborate
> > book-keeping of inheritance information for NOT NULL constraints. Thanks
> > Michael for reminding.
> >

> Patch for adding check in pg_upgrade. Going through git history, the check
> for inconsistency in NOT NULL constraint has ben there since a long time
> ago. In this patch the check will be applied for all old cluster version.
> I'm not sure in which version was the release of table inheritance.

Here are some spelling and grammar fixes to that patch:

but nullabe in its children: nullable
child column is not market: marked
with adding: by adding
and restart: and restarting
the problem columns: the problematic columns
9.5, 9.6, 10: 9.5, 9.6, and 10
restore, that will cause error.: restore phase of pg_upgrade, that would cause an error.

Justin