Re: Speeding up pg_upgrade

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Speeding up pg_upgrade
Date: 2017-12-05 14:23:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave,

* Dave Page (dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org) wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 11:01 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > As part of PGConf.Asia 2017 in Tokyo, we had an unconference topic about
> > zero-downtime upgrades. After the usual discussion of using logical
> > replication, Slony, and perhaps having the server be able to read old
> > and new system catalogs, we discussed speeding up pg_upgrade.
> >
> > There are clusters that take a long time to dump the schema from the old
> > cluster and recreate it in the new cluster. One idea of speeding up
> > pg_upgrade would be to allow pg_upgrade to be run in two stages:
> >
> > 1. prevent system catalog changes while the old cluster is running, and
> > dump the old cluster's schema and restore it in the new cluster
> >
> > 2. shut down the old cluster and copy/link the data files
>
> When we were discussing this, I was thinking that the linking could be done
> in phase 1 too, as that's potentially slow on a very large schema.

Right, I had that thought too when first reading this, but the problem
there is that new files can show up due to a relation being extended (at
least, and perhaps in other cases too..).

> > My question is whether the schema dump/restore is time-consuming enough
> > to warrant this optional more complex API, and whether people would
> > support adding a server setting that prevented all system table changes?
>
> I've certainly heard of cases where pg_upgrade takes significant amounts of
> time to run on very complex databases.

Right, but that doesn't really answer the question as to which part of
the pg_upgrade process is taking up the time.

In any case, of course, if we're able to move part of what pg_upgrade
does to be while the old server is online then that takes whatever the
cost of that is out of the downtime window. The question is if that's a
5% improvement in the overall performance of pg_upgrade or a 70% one.
This will be case-by-case, of course, but if, in the best-case, we only
get a 5% improvement then this might not be worth the risk.

Thanks!

Stephen