Re: [HACKERS] Pluggable storage

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Pluggable storage
Date: 2017-11-14 10:42:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hmm. Am I reading it right that this discussion led to moving
essentially all code from tqual.c to heapam? Given the hard time we've
had to get tqual.c right, it seems fundamentally misguided to me to
require that every single storage AM reimplements all the visibility
routines.

I think that changing tqual's API (such as not passing HeapTuples
anymore but some other more general representation) would be okay and
should be sufficient, but this wholesale movement of code seems
dangerous and wasteful in terms of future reimplementations that will be
necessary.