Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix freezing of a dead HOT-updated tuple

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: "Wood, Dan" <hexpert(at)amazon(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Wong, Yi Wen" <yiwong(at)amazon(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix freezing of a dead HOT-updated tuple
Date: 2017-11-14 08:23:18
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 2017-11-13 19:03:41 -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Staring at the vacuumlazy hunk I think I might have found a related bug:
> > heap_update_tuple() just copies the old xmax to the new tuple's xmax if
> > a multixact and still running. It does so without verifying liveliness
> > of members. Isn't that buggy? Consider what happens if we have three
> > blocks: 1 has free space, two is being vacuumed and is locked, three is
> > full and has a tuple that's key share locked by a live tuple and is
> > updated by a dead xmax from before the xmin horizon. In that case afaict
> > the multi will be copied from the third page to the first one. Which is
> > quite bad, because vacuum already processed it, and we'll set
> > relfrozenxid accordingly. I hope I'm missing something here?
>
> Trying to write a testcase for that now.

This indeed happens, but I can't quite figure out a way to write an
isolationtester test for this. The problem is that to have something
reproducible one has to make vacuum block on a cleanup lock, but that
currently doesn't register as waiting for the purpose of
isolationtester's logic.

Greetings,

Andres Freund