Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Migration to PGLister - After
Date: 2017-11-13 16:50:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Geoff Winkless (pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj) wrote:
> The removal of the [HACKERS] (etc) header will be frustrating for me: I do
> not sort mailing lists into folders (I simply scan the "Forums" autofilter
> in gmail) and have no wish to do so, and there is no way to make such a
> machine-readable header visible in gmail.

I'm certainly sorry to hear that.

> Perhaps those users who wish to use DKIM on their email to the list could
> be persuaded to remove the Subject line from list of optional fields to be
> signed for list email?

This is often not under their control (are you aware of some way to get
GMail to do that...? Your email certainly includes the subject in the
DKIM signature) and, even if it was, I doubt we'd be able to get the
majority of users to actually do this, meaning we would continue to send
out lots of email with invalid DKIM signatures, or to only have the
Subject mangling on a subset of the emails, neither of which is
acceptable.

> It seems to me unreasonable that those users who don't want to use a
> feature should be inconvenienced by those who do.

Unfortunately, DKIM is a thing and it's not likely to be changed very
easily.

Thanks!

Stephen