Re: Fails to work on live images due to fsync() on pg_commit_ts before doing any write there

From: Raphael Hertzog <hertzog(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fails to work on live images due to fsync() on pg_commit_ts before doing any write there
Date: 2017-11-07 16:23:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, 07 Nov 2017, Andres Freund wrote:
> > The time
> > to get a fix there is also relatively long. If they work on a fix quickly,
> > it might get merged for Linux 3.15 which we will not have in Kali before
> > 2-3 months too.
>
> So the same timeframe as a new PG release?

Yes, looks like so.

> > For now, I have added an ugly work-around that creates a file in the
> > pg_commit_ts directory (and immediately drops it) just before starting
> > PostgreSQL:
> > http://git.kali.org/gitweb/?p=packages/kali-defaults.git;a=commitdiff;h=f4287fd774f8d0686ba919f57355215a6b9633e3
>
> Hm. The comment:
> + # Ensure the directory is copied over in the tmpfs
> suggests that the overlay isn't persistent? If that's indeed the case,
> you could just disable fsyncs alltogether.

Well, it's the case by default with no persistence. But some users enable
persistence and then it's no longer a tmpfs which is used.

The problem also exists when you enable persistence but start with an
empty upper layer so disabling fsyncs is not really an option.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer