Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Implement table partitioning.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <rhaas(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Implement table partitioning.
Date: 2017-10-13 16:34:49
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> Implement table partitioning.

> Currently, tables can be range-partitioned or list-partitioned. List
> partitioning is limited to a single column, but range partitioning can
> involve multiple columns. A partitioning "column" can be an
> expression.

I find the "partition strategy" thing a bit suspect code-wise. I was a
bit bothered by all the "default:" clauses in switches that deal with
the possible values, and I was going to propose simply that we turn that
into an enum -- a trivial patch, I thought. Not so: the way it's used
by the grammar is a bit odd. Apparently, it starts life as a string
(either "list" or "range"), and then transformPartitionSpec() has to go
out of its way to return it as a char.

I propose we have gram.y itself resolve the strings to either 'list' or
'range' and that the node contains only those values, not any string.
Unless there is a reason why things are like this that I'm not seeing?