Re: REASSIGN OWNED simply doesn't work

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Sam Gendler <sgendler(at)ideasculptor(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: REASSIGN OWNED simply doesn't work
Date: 2017-10-13 13:04:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Sam Gendler wrote:
> psql 9.6.3 on OS X.
>
> I'm dealing with a production database in which all db access has been made
> by the same user - the db owner, which isn't actually a superuser because
> the db runs on amazon RDS - amazon retains the superuser privilege for its
> own users and makes non-superuser role with createrole and createdb
> privileges for use as the primary role by the AWS account.

It's true that REASSIGN OWNED is limited to a very particular scenario.
It was written to support the specific case of wanting to drop a role,
and that can only be done by a superuser, so why would it matter that
REASSIGN OWNED itself could not be run by a superuser?

However, I do not apologize for not thinking about your particular
scenario. I had my itch, and I scratched it; you have yours, yet you
complain that I did not scratch it in advance?

Feel free to submit a patch (or convince/hire someone to do it for you)
to add the new feature of allowing it to work without superuser privs.