Re: Built-in plugin for logical decoding output

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Alvaro Hernandez <aht(at)ongres(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>, Gregory Brail <gregbrail(at)google(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Built-in plugin for logical decoding output
Date: 2017-09-25 18:38:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017-09-25 21:31:11 +0300, Alvaro Hernandez wrote:

> > Yes, it is. Why would we want to increase that burden to this community?
>

>     That's a different story, and one I cannot argue against. If easying
> postgresql integration with other tools is not something of a priority or
> something the core group cannot add to all the stuff on their shoulders, all
> my due respect. PostgreSQL users will do without, someway, somehow. But IMHO
> this should be a really high priority, and saying that this would turn
> PostgreSQL into an Oracle code base is going too far ;)

Well, we can certainly use more help doing maintenance-y stuff, which
will in turn allow to get more stuff into core in a good state medium+
term... ;)

Less jokingly: I'm doubtful that the "not a priority" take is really
fair - there's a lot of priorities, and they compete for scant
resources. Which means people have to argue convincingly if they want to
add to that burden - just actually asking the question whether it's a
good use of resources doesn't mean it's not. Just that it's not yet
clear.

Greetings,

Andres Freund