Re: hash index on unlogged tables doesn't behave as expected

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hash index on unlogged tables doesn't behave as expected
Date: 2017-09-21 10:44:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

Following a bit older thread.

At Tue, 18 Jul 2017 08:33:07 +0200, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in <CAB7nPqSQDmz+PKewNN9r_7jC4WKf9f31Gkf=DzVGA3q+GsgJEQ(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 4:18 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Thanks. Do you have any suggestion for back-branches? As of now, it
> > fails badly with below kind of error:
> >
> > test=> SELECT * FROM t_u_hash;
> > ERROR: could not open file "base/16384/16392": No such file or directory
> >
> > It is explained in another thread [3] where it has been found that the
> > reason for such an error is that hash indexes are not WAL logged prior
> > to 10. Now, we can claim that we don't recommend hash indexes to be
> > used prior to 10 in production, so such an error is okay even if there
> > is no crash has happened in the system.
>
> There are a couple of approaches:
> 1) Marking such indexes as invalid at recovery and log information
> about the switch done.
> 2) Error at creation of hash indexes on unlogged tables.
> 3) Leave it as-is, because there is already a WARNING at creation.
> I don't mind seeing 3) per the amount of work done lately to support
> WAL on hash indexes.

I overlooked that but (3) is true as long as the table is
*logged* one.

postgres=# create table test (id int primary key, v text);
postgres=# create index on test using hash (id);
WARNING: hash indexes are not WAL-logged and their use is discouraged

But not for for unlogged tables.

postgres=# create unlogged table test (id int primary key, v text);
postgres=# create index on test using hash (id);
postgres=# (no warning)

And fails on promotion in the same way.

postgres=# select * from test;
ERROR: could not open file "base/13324/16446": No such file or directory

indexcmds(dot)c(at)965:503
> if (strcmp(accessMethodName, "hash") == 0 &&
> RelationNeedsWAL(rel))
> ereport(WARNING,
> (errmsg("hash indexes are not WAL-logged and their use is discouraged")));

Using !RelationUsesLocalBuffers instead fixes that and the
attached patch is for 9.6. I'm a bit unconfident on the usage of
logical meaning of the macro but what it does fits there.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
hashidx_pre_96_is_not_recommended_for_unlogged.patch text/x-patch 657 bytes