Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Perform only one ReadControlFile() during startup.

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Perform only one ReadControlFile() during startup.
Date: 2017-09-19 16:51:11
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 2017-09-19 12:24:00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Unfortunately the backends themselves also react with inaccurate error
> > messages to things like immediate shutdowns...
>
> Yeah, those signals are kind of overloaded these days. Not sure if
> there's any good way to improve that.

We could use the procsignal infrastructure (or some pared down
equivalent with just one 'server-status' byte in shmem) for the
non-crash immediate shutdown. That'd not be that a crazy amount of
shared memory that'd need to be touched in shared memory, and we're not
in an actual crash in that case, so no corrupted shmem. OTOH, that'd
still leave us with some processes that aren't connected to shmem
receiving the bare SIGQUIT - but I think they mostly already have more
terse error messages anyway.

Greetings,

Andres Freund