Re: psql - add ability to test whether a variable exists

From: Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Fabien Coelho <postgresql(dot)org(at)coelho(dot)net>
Subject: Re: psql - add ability to test whether a variable exists
Date: 2017-09-19 14:07:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

make installcheck-world: not tested
Implements feature: tested, failed
Spec compliant: not tested
Documentation: tested, failed

The patch applies cleanly and compiles + installs fine (although am unable to do installcheck-world on my Cygwin setup).
This is how the patch works on my setup.

$ /opt/postgres/reviewpatch/bin/psql -U postgres -h localhost
psql (11devel, server 9.6.1)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# \set i 1
postgres=# \if :{?i}
postgres=# \echo 'testing'
testing
postgres=# \endif
postgres=# \if :{?id}
postgres(at)# \echo 'testing'
\echo command ignored; use \endif or Ctrl-C to exit current \if block
postgres(at)# \endif
postgres=#