Re: Is it time to kill support for very old servers?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it time to kill support for very old servers?
Date: 2017-09-18 09:53:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017-09-13 23:39:21 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> The real problem in this area, to my mind, is that we're not testing that
> code --- either end of it --- in any systematic way. If it's broken it
> could take us quite a while to notice.

Independent of the thrust of my question - why aren't we adding a
'force-v2' option to libpq? A test that basically does something like
postgres[22923][1]=# \setenv PGFORCEV2 1
postgres[22923][1]=# \c
You are now connected to database "postgres" as user "andres".
postgres[22924][1]=>
seems easy enough to add, in fact I tested the above.

And the protocol coverage of the v2 protocol seems small enough that a
single not too large file ought to cover most if it quite easily.

Greetings,

Andres Freund