Re: psql: new help related to variables are not too readable

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql: new help related to variables are not too readable
Date: 2017-09-18 09:44:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Pavel Stehule wrote:

> I am looking on man pagers - and there are very well readable
>
> The rules are simply - when some variables are short - less than 6 chars,
> then it description and label are on same line. Between items are empty
> line

I was having a similar idea. I'm not sure how many lines we would save
that way, but it seems to me we could use a slightly longer threshold --
say 8 chars before we cause a newline and wrap.

Maybe we need to come up with guidelines for translators, also. As
somebody noted, I've always gone to some trouble to produce translate
output that preserves the original's constraints; I don't see any reason
forother translations to behave differently.

(By all means, if we add entry-separating newlines, let's not put them
as part of the translatable string.)