Re: Trouble with amcheck

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Douglas Doole <dougdoole(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trouble with amcheck
Date: 2017-09-15 02:36:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andres,

* Andres Freund (andres(at)anarazel(dot)de) wrote:
> On 2017-09-15 02:22:49 +0000, Douglas Doole wrote:
> > Thanks all. Making and installing the contribs got me rolling again. (I
> > tried "make world" but ran into trouble with the XML docs. But that's pain
> > and suffering for another day.)
> >
> > I'd agree that "make installcheck-world" should imply that all prereqs are
> > met - that's certainsly the normal behaviour for make.
>
> I'm very unconvinced by this, given that one use of installcheck is to
> run against an existing server. For which one might not even have access
> to the relevant directories to install extensions into.

Sure, but if the extensions aren't in place and you're trying to run
make installcheck-world, it's not like it's somehow going to succeed.

Failing earlier on the install seems like a reasonable thing to do
rather than failing later halfway through the check process.

Now, that said, perhaps a bit more smarts would be in order here to,
instead, check that the extensions are available before trying to run
the checks for them. I'm thinking about something like this: check if
the extension is available and, if not, skip the check of that module,
with a warning or notification that it was skipped because it wasn't
available.

Thanks!

Stephen