Re: Restricting maximum keep segments by repslots

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restricting maximum keep segments by repslots
Date: 2017-09-07 05:12:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

At Fri, 1 Sep 2017 23:49:21 -0400, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote in <751e09c4-93e0-de57-edd2-e64c4950f5e3(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> I'm still concerned about how the critical situation is handled. Your
> patch just prints a warning to the log and then goes on -- doing what?
>
> The warning rolls off the log, and then you have no idea what happened,
> or how to recover.

The victims should be complaining in their log files, but, yes, I
must admit that it's extremely resembles /dev/null. And the
catastrophe comes suddenly.

> I would like a flag in pg_replication_slots, and possibly also a
> numerical column that indicates how far away from the critical point
> each slot is. That would be great for a monitoring system.

Great! I'll do that right now.

> --
> Peter Eisentraut http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Thanks.