Re: multiple target of VACUUM command

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: multiple target of VACUUM command
Date: 2017-09-05 08:22:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ouch!

At Thu, 31 Aug 2017 23:09:20 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in <CAB7nPqSB0k1ZyeXJ8iHdMQbeksYKB-psbiBvEfn--rTNmTreBw(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 9:53 PM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
> <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> > I sometimes feel annoyed when trying to VACUUM multiple specific
> > tables.
> >
> > postgres=# vacuum a, b;
> > ERROR: syntax error at or near ","
> > LINE 1: vacuum a, b;
> >
> > This patch just allows multiple targets for VACUUM command.
>
> There is a patch for the same feature by Nathan Bossart which is being
> discussed already in this commit fest:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/E061A8E3-5E3D-494D-94F0-E8A9B312BBFC@amazon.com

Sorry for the duplication.

> It had already a couple of rounds of reviews, and is getting close to
> something that could be committed. There is still a pending bug
> related to the use of RangeVar though with autovacuum.
>
> Your approach is missing a couple of points. For example when
> specifying multiple targets, we have decided to check for an ERROR at
> the beginning of VACUUM, but we are issuing a WARNING if it goes
> missing in the middle of processing a list, so your set of patches
> would provide a frustrating experience. We have also discussed about
> reshaping a bit the API of vacuum(), so I would recommend looking at
> what has been already proposed if you are interested.

Thank you! I'll do that. I've mark this as "Rejected".

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center