Re: Challenges preventing us moving to 64 bit transaction id (XID)?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Jim Finnerty <jfinnert(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Challenges preventing us moving to 64 bit transaction id (XID)?
Date: 2017-08-28 23:05:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 07:29:07AM -0700, Jim Finnerty wrote:
> re: "The problem is if you want to delete from such a page. Then you need to
> update the tuple's xmax and stick the new xid epoch somewhere."

I am coming to this very late, but wouldn't such a row be marked using
our frozen-commited fixed xid so it doesn't matter what the xid epoch is?
I realize with 64-bit xids we don't need to freeze tuples, but we could
still use a frozen-commited fixed xid, see:

#define FrozenTransactionId ((TransactionId) 2)

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +