Re: SCRAM auth and Pgpool-II

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SCRAM auth and Pgpool-II
Date: 2017-07-06 01:40:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael,

> Couldn't you cache one single SASL exchange status for each
> connection, meaning one PGconn saved for each? As the challenge sent
> by the server and the response generated by the client are different
> by design, I am afraid you would need to do that anyway in this
> context (Isn't PG-pool using already the weaknesses of MD5 to make
> things easier?). As the server decides first which authentication type
> should happen before beginning the real message exchange, that should
> not be difficult. It seems to me that you would need something more
> modular than you have now if you want for example to handle
> automatically connections to multiple servers that have different
> password hashes stored for the same user. The latter may be an edge
> case with pgpool though.

Thank you for the quick response. I will study your suggestion along
with the SCRAM code in PostgreSQL whether it could be possible in
Pgpool-II.

Regarding your question on md5 auth handling in Pgpool-II, please look
into:

https://pgpool.net/mediawiki/index.php/FAQ#How_does_pgpool-II_handle_md5_authentication.3F

Best regards,
--