Re: BUG #14720: getsockopt(TCP_KEEPALIVE) failed: Option not supported by protocol

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: lizenko79(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #14720: getsockopt(TCP_KEEPALIVE) failed: Option not supported by protocol
Date: 2017-06-27 19:17:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

lizenko79(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

> Bug reference: 14720
> Logged by: Andrey Lizenko
> Email address: lizenko79(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.6.3
> Operating system: Solaris 11.3
>
> I've got the following message running PostgreSQL 9.6.3 on Solaris 11.3
> (both latest stable).
>
> > getsockopt(TCP_KEEPALIVE) failed: Option not supported by protocol
>
> Unfortunately, I can not reproduce it with libpq c code examples, but at
> least I can see it while using pgAdmin 3 , pgAdmin 4 and zabbix monitoring
> extension libzbxpgsql.
>
> In getsockopt manual only SO_KEEPALIVE mentioned.

It sounds like your system defines the TCP_KEEPALIVE symbol at compile
time but the kernel doesn't know it; maybe the package was compiled in a
system where the kernel does support that option, and you're running it
in one that doesn't?

Are you getting the message in the client side or server side? If the
latter, you should just set tcp_keepalives_idle to 0 in postgresql.conf.
If the former, I think the only option is to fix the libpq compile.