Re: Re-indent HEAD tomorrow?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re-indent HEAD tomorrow?
Date: 2017-06-22 17:54:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 10:38:41AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Right now we're really just speculating about how much pain there will
> > be, on either end of this. So it'd be interesting for somebody who's
> > carrying large out-of-tree patches (EDB? Citus?) to try the new
> > pgindent version on a back branch and see how much of their patches no
> > longer apply afterwards.
>
> EDB is not continuously reapplying patches; we have branches into
> which the upstream reindents would have to be merged. As a broad
> statement, reindenting all of the back branches is surely going to
> create some extra work for whoever has to do those merges, but if
> that's what the community thinks is best, we will of course manage.
> It's not *that* bad.
>
> It would be slightly less annoying for us, I think, if the reindent
> were done immediately after a minor-release rather than at some other
> random point in time.

Also keep in mind that if we don't reindent all active branches then
even forks of Postgres will have merge conflicts in backporting of their
own patches, meaning the community and forks will have backbranch patch
difficulties.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +