Re: memory fields from getrusage()

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: memory fields from getrusage()
Date: 2017-06-14 22:28:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 12:16:00PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> It might be worth adding platform-specific code for common platforms.

All I care (which linux happily/happens to support) is maxrss; I was probably
originally interested in this while digging into an issue with hash agg.

I think it's fine to show zeros for unsupported fields; that's what getusage(2)
and time(1) do after all.

pryzbyj(at)pryzbyj:~$ sh -c 'command time -v find /dev' 2>&1 >/dev/null |grep -Fw 0
User time (seconds): 0.00
System time (seconds): 0.00
Elapsed (wall clock) time (h:mm:ss or m:ss): 0:00.00
Average shared text size (kbytes): 0
Average unshared data size (kbytes): 0
Average stack size (kbytes): 0
Average total size (kbytes): 0
Average resident set size (kbytes): 0
Major (requiring I/O) page faults: 0
Swaps: 0
File system inputs: 0
File system outputs: 0
Socket messages sent: 0
Socket messages received: 0
Signals delivered: 0

> it would be a good idea to install code specific to Linux that
> displays all and only those values that are meaningful on Linux, and
> (less importantly) similarly for macOS. Linux is such a common
> platform that reporting bogus zero values and omitting other fields
> that are actually meaningful does not seem like a very good plan.

That has the issue that it varies not just by OS but also by OS version. For
example PG already shows context switches and FS in/out puts, but they're
nonzero only since linux 2.6 (yes, 2.4 is ancient and unsupported but still).

ru_nvcsw (since Linux 2.6)
ru_inblock (since Linux 2.6.22)

..and other fields are "currently unused", but maybe supported in the past or
future(?)
ru_ixrss (unmaintained)
This field is currently unused on Linux.

Are you thinking of something like this, maybe hidden away in a separate file
somewhere?

#if defined(__linux__) || defined(BSD)
appendStringInfo(&str, "!\t%ld max resident, %ld shared, %ld unshared data, %ld unshared stack (kB)\n", r.ru_maxrss, r.ru_ixrss, r.ru_idrss, r.ru_isrss);
#elif defined(__darwin__)
appendStringInfo(&str, "!\t%ld max resident, %ld shared, %ld unshared data, %ld unshared stack (kB)\n", r.ru_maxrss/1024, r.ru_ixrss/1024, r.ru_idrss/1024, r.ru_isrss/1024);
#endif /* __linux__ */

Justin