Re: Use of non-restart-safe storage by temp_tablespaces

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Jerry Sievers <gsievers19(at)comcast(dot)net>, Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Use of non-restart-safe storage by temp_tablespaces
Date: 2017-06-06 07:39:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andres Freund wrote:

> FWIW, allowing UNLOGGED tables, rather than just TEMPORARY ones,
> increases the complexity of that project noticeably. For TEMPORARY you
> basically don't need to do much but to recreate the structure inside the
> tablespace at start - fairly simple. But for UNLOGGED you need to find
> a way to recreate the relevant file and init forks - otherwise we might
> not notice what needs to be reset at a crash restart, and we might error
> out when executing selects etc. and then the table's not there.
> Presumably recreating files & init forks that at first table access is
> doable, but it's not entirely trivial to do locking wise.

I was thinking that you could create the init fork for each unlogged
table in a permanent tablespace (probably the default one for the
database).

FWIW I don't think calling these tablespaces "temporary" is the right
word. It's not the tablespaces that are temporary. Maybe "evanescent".
Also, do we really need it to be a keyword after CREATE? We could put
the option in the WITH clause of CREATE TABLESPACE instead.