Re: OK, so culicidae is *still* broken

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OK, so culicidae is *still* broken
Date: 2017-05-20 12:26:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 02:30:18PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2017-04-15 17:24:54 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> writes:
> >
> > > Because of ASLR of the main executable (i.e. something like PIE).
> >
> > Not following. Are you saying that the main executable gets mapped into
> > the process address space immediately, but shared libraries are not?

At the time of the pgwin32_ReserveSharedMemoryRegion() call, the child process
contains only ntdll.dll and the executable.

> Without PIE/ASLR we can somewhat rely on pgwin32_ReserveSharedMemoryRegion
> to find the space that PGSharedMemoryCreate allocated still unoccupied.

I've never had access to a Windows system that can reproduce the fork
failures. My best theory is that antivirus or similar software injects an
additional DLL at that early stage.

> > I wonder whether we could work around that by just destroying the created
> > process and trying again if we get a collision. It'd be a tad
> > inefficient, but hopefully collisions wouldn't happen often enough to be a
> > big problem.
>
> That might work, although it's obviously not pretty.

I didn't like that idea when Michael proposed it in 2015. Since disabling
ASLR on the exe proved insufficient, I do like it now. It degrades nicely; if
something raises the collision rate from 1% to 10%, that just looks like fork
latency degrading.

> We could also just
> default to some out-of-the-way address for MapViewOfFileEx, that might
> also work.

Dave Vitek proposed that:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/5046CAEB.4010600%40grammatech.com

I estimate more risk than retrying forks. There's no guarantee that a fixed
address helpful today won't make the collisions worse after the next Windows
security patch.