Re: CTE inlining

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Serge Rielau <serge(at)rielau(dot)com>, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Ilya Shkuratov <motr(dot)ilya(at)ya(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Mario Becroft <mb(at)true(dot)group>
Subject: Re: CTE inlining
Date: 2017-05-04 16:39:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017-05-04 09:34:19 -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 9:22 AM, Andrew Dunstan <
> andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>

> > Yeah, the idea that this won't cause possibly significant pain is quite
> > wrong. Quite by accident I came across an example just this morning where
> > rewriting as a CTE makes a big improvement.
> >
> > I wrote this query:
> >
> > select (json_populate_record(null::mytype, myjson)).*
> > from mytable;
> >

> > It turned out that this was an order of magnitude faster:
> >
> > with r as
> > (
> > select json_populate_record(null::mytype, myjson) as x
> > from mytable
> > )
> > select (x).*
> > from r;

That's a very specific issue, that you can just as well solve with CTEs
though. IIRC Tom and I were discussing changing this - independently of
anything CTE releated - so it doesn't end up calling the function
multiple times. We e.g. could now quite easily put the
json_populate_record(null::mytype, myjson) into something *like* a
nodeProjectSet node, and handle the column accesses via the nromal
projection.

> ​Except I suspect we at least have a chance to detect the above and not
> de-optimize it by evaluating "json_populate_record" once for every column
> in mytype.

That's what happens with the non CTE version - don't think it's super
likely we'd end up doing that for CTEs; I'd even consider it a bug.

Greetings,

Andres Freund