Re: snapbuild woes

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: snapbuild woes
Date: 2017-05-01 08:03:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017-05-01 03:54:49 +0200, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> I agree with adding running, I think that's good thing even for the per
> transaction tracking and snapshot exports - we could use the newly added
> field to get rid of the issue we have with 'snapshot too large' when
> there were many aborted transactions while we waited for running ones to
> finish.

I'm not sure of that - what I was proposing would only track this for
the ->running substructure. How'd that help?

> But, I still think we need to restart the tracking after new
> xl_running_xacts. Reason for that is afaics any of the catalog snapshots
> that we assigned to transactions at the end of SnapBuildCommitTxn might
> be corrupted otherwise as they were built before we knew one of the
> supposedly running txes was actually already committed and that
> transaction might have done catalog changes.

I'm afraid you're right. But I think this is even more complicated: The
argument in your version that this can only happen once, seems to also
be holey: Just imagine a pg_usleep(3000 * 1000000) right before
ProcArrayEndTransaction() and enjoy the picture.

Wonder if we should just (re-)add a stage between SNAPBUILD_START and
SNAPBUILD_FULL_SNAPSHOT. Enter SNAPBUILD_BUILD_INITIAL_SNAPSHOT at the
first xl_running_xacts, wait for all transactions to end with my
approach, while populating SnapBuild->committed, only then start
collecting changes for transactions (i.e. return true from
SnapBuildProcessChange()), return true once all xacts have finished
again. That'd presumably be a bit easier to understand, more robust -
and slower.

- Andres